Wednesday, April 7, 2010


A few weeks ago Kim and I went up to Keystone with some friends to go skiing. It was the first time we had gone since we were in college so we were pretty excited. We left Friday right after work and drove straight through. Driving through western Kansas in the middle of the night isn't nearly as exciting as it sounds...We got into Keystone at about 3am and caught some sleep in the parking lot of a McDonalds. I was sure glad we took an extra comforter because it was cold. A lot colder than I thought it would be, about 4F. We woke up a few hours later grab some breakfast (and warmed up) and got to the slopes.

We got our skis and I headed up the lift with one of the other people in our group and we started hitting some of the blues right away. I was amazed at how fast it came back to me. It was almost like I had never left CO. The weather was great, no lines and I wasn't falling. Not bad. After lunch I took off on my own and hit some of the peaks out back. Man I wore myself out. We only had two days there and I wasn't going to waste any time. Sooner than I wished it was the end of the day and I headed back to the condo to relax a little and get some dinner.

That night I slept like a rock. I may not have moved at all I was so wiped out from an all night drive and lots of skiing.

The next morning came and we headed up to the slopes again. We got a couple runs in and then met of with the rest of the group and went with the kids and Kim down a nice long blue/green.

That afternoon we went to another park, Arapaho Basin, which is a little higher and off the beaten path. There aren't a lot of runs but they are a little tougher and almost all are above timber line so the air gets sucked out of your lungs a little easier. Then the snow just started coming down. Big fat flakes everywhere. It was awesome. But again the day ended too soon and we had to head back. We turned in our skis in and it was over.

Time for some food at a Mexican place where we saw a Napoleon Dynamite look alike (the voice was on the money) and some games back at the condo. Another great nights sleep and a long drive back home and it was all over.

Some day I'll have a place up in the mountains where we can go skiing all the time. I can't wait to get back.

No comments: