Wednesday, September 17, 2008

MS150 Day 2

Day 2

The night was kind of rough sleeping on a basketball court floor and Ike passing through brought lots of wind, rain and thunder. I woke up in the morning tired and sore from sleeping on the ground. I'm not as young as I once was ;)

Breakfast was pancakes and sausage from a husband and wife team that had obviously been doing this a while. They were throwing us the pancakes. Pretty fun to watch some people try and catch them on the plate. A few were lost to the floor.

The ride on day 2 started at 7:30 again and I was in the lead group. We all took turns up on the front and we were really moving. I was able to keep up with them for ~25 miles until myself and another ride had to drop off. We ended up riding pretty much the rest of the ride together until we were seperated at traffic lights. We stopped at a rest stop at mile 30 and that was it. We took turns drafting off of each other and we finally hit the promised tail wind. Ike was north of us at this point so we had the winds really coming at our backs as we headed south. All of that tail wind fun ended as we had to make a couple turns and head back north for the last 5. I was on my own at this point so it was really just a matter of keep pedaling (I had the "Just keep swimming" stuff in my head from Finding Nemo).



I finally came up on the hospital where we started from and rolled across the finish line. Total ride was 63.5 miles in 3:43:18. Only burned 3,165 calories that day. I was in just before noon so I was right in line for a hotdog, hamburger, chips, cookie and the much anticipated post race beer. Everything tasted great. The Red Bull people showed up so I grabbed a couple of those and headed on back home.

I slept like a rock until I had to get up to go to Atlanta this week, but I am almost back at 100% now. All in all, great ride and great people and I will be back again next year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's awesome ryan! after the little biking we've done here i have SOOO much more respect for bikers, it's tough work...as for the pikes peak marathon that's complete insanity but i think michale would actually do it with you if you were serious...even just "the ascent" he's already thinking about it