Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Ironman




This weekend I volunteered at the Redman Ironman here in Oklahoma City. There were two races this weekend, the half Ironman (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run) and the full Ironman (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run).

I was out on the bike course making sure people that weren't in the race didn't try and get onto the course and directing a little traffic. I was absolutely amazed at all of the people out there for this race. There were over 800 entries from what I heard and about a third of them were for the full distance. People in all shapes and sizes were out there racing from 4 hours for the half to over 17 hours for the full. It really inspired me, so I have decided to make the plunge to become an Ironman next September. After my Tulsa marathon in the middle of November, I am hitting the pool to get a good base. Real training will start in late January. Next year will have a few longer triathlons to ramp me up. I am planning on doing a sprint(short) and Olympic (a little longer) one weekend in late May. Then I am thinking about doing the Buffalo Springs Half in Lubbock at the end of June. I am a little nervous, but excited to take the plunge.

No comments: