Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Weekend Roundup

Well I had a pretty busy end of week/weekend. Friday I got my new bike out of the shop after getting the last few parts moved over. Only bad part was I didn't have pedals for it so the test ride would have to wait.

So instead of a bike ride on Saturday I went for my long run. This was my first real long run of the training plan and I was scheduled for 15 miles. I got out the door and was hit by wet air. I knew it would be a long day but I headed out. I got about 8 miles in when I finally ran out of water. It wasn't real hot but the humidity really sucked the life out of you. Luckily I was close to a big park up in Edmond so I made a little detour. Surely there was a water fountain I could refill at. After 10 minutes of searching, I finally found one tucked away in a pavilion by the restrooms. Naturally the water tasted like sand. Great. I filled up the bottle hoping I would find somewhere else to dump this out and get good water. No such luck so I headed on back home. I realized I wouldn't get my entire 15 in, but I ended up with 13.5, so not too bad. If I would have had good water I would have added on a little.



That afternoon Kim and I headed to a couple bike stores to get some pedals. After finding some with the right cleats, I have older style pedals, I bought them. When i got home I started looking online and found that I could get 2 new pair of pedals (for my tri bike and road bike) and new cleats, for $30 less than what I paid. I ordered those and took the ones I got at the shop back. This meant I still didn't have pedals, so I had to take the tri bike out on Sunday.

I went my usual route, way out into the country, turn around, take a back road to Lake Hefner, one lap around and back home. I stopped once for about 30 seconds to eat something but that was it. I forgot to start my GPS right away so it read a little short, but I got in just over 50 miles on the bike. Most of the ride went great, but the last 25 minutes or so were into a stiff headwind that just started up.




After all that I really just watched the Olympics the rest of the day and continued to be amazed by Michael Phelps. That guy is crazy good. The 100 Fly was one of the best finishes I have seen since, well, the 4x100 free relay with the epic comeback.

No comments: