Saturday, October 25, 2008

Fall Classic Du




Last weekend I did my last duathlon of the season, the Fall Classic that is put on by my Tri Club. The race is a short fast course consisting of a 2 mile run, 14 mile bike and then another 2 mile run.

I got to Lake Overholser early to help set up and hand out packets. There were a lot of new people out there so I had to answer a lot of questions, which was fun. It was VERY windy and everyone was concerned about that. Last year a lady was blown off her bike and broke her pelvis. Pretty crazy. About 30 minutes before the race I started getting ready checking everything one last time. This was my 3rd year doing this race. In 2006 I did it in 1:34:54, last year I did it in 1:34:57, so pretty close.

A couple minutes before the start we all made our way up to the line. We took off at the shot gun start and I was in the front quarter of the pack. Since this is a pretty short race every one was really pushing it. I made it to the turn around I was feeling really good so I kept pushing. I entered into the bike area at 13:54, a little under 7 min/mile. I was out on the bike course in under 30 seconds (fast for me) and started hammering on the bike.

I passed my share of people but got passed by a few too. The first part of the ride was really nice, slight downhill and the wind at our back. We made the first turn and got sideswiped by the wind. Not too long after that it was straight into the 25mph wind and everyone was crawling. It was just a matter of keep spinning and get through this part. Finally made it to the bike turn around and had the wind at my back again. Flying along again until the wind in the home stretch. Ended up finish the 14 mile bike in 43:45. Transition was 18 seconds since I just had to take my helmet off.

The second run was just go as hard as you can and hang on. I started out and felt like I was so slow, but I was running 8min/mi pace. Finally got my legs back and pushed a little more. The final turn came and I was able to keep in front of a guy I heard sneaking up. I did the 2 miles this time in 15:10 for a finishing time of 1:13:33.

I was 30th out of 127 and 4th in my age group. Less than 2 minutes kept me from placing. So close. The good thing was now my wife says I need some race wheels to go a little faster on the bike. Who am I to complain? I think I know what I am going to ask for for Christmas.

Next up is the NYC Marathon.

No comments: